Friday 25 July 2014

beginners guide to a smokey eye & winged eyeliner ❤



I always get asked how to do a easy smokey eye so I thought I would do my first ever in depth tutorial on how to do it! I hope you enjoy it, please leave a comment if you would like to see more of these.



  • Start off with a clean, moisturised and primed face, today I used Nivea day cream and Revlon Photo Ready Primer.
  • Apply a small strip of tape from the end of your eyelashes to the base of your eyebrows, any tape can be used but I suggest a microporous tape or something similar. 
  • Prime your eyelids to prevent creasing and to increase the longevity of your make-up, I primed my eyelids with Benefits lemon Aid. Setting your primer with a loose powder or nude eye shadow makes blending shadows easier. 
  • This step is hardly noticeable but makes a big difference! Use your contour power in the crease of your eye and slowly blend up towards the brow bone, this will make your smokey eye look more blended and more easy to create.


  • Start off with a light brown colour and in small circular motions apply eye shadow in the crease, at first it may feel pointless but trust me it will all come together. 
  • Apply a slightly darker brown and do the same again, keep on blending and adding more brown if needed.
  • Slowly start to add more and more darker browns and intensify to your liking.


  • Apply a nude eyeshadow to the lid of your eye to open and brighten your eyes.
  • The final eyeshadow is black, black eyeshadow should always be last as it is a pain to blend, but remember the tiniest bit goes a long way.
  • Now my favourite part, eyeliner. I love winged eyeliner and I think I'm pretty good at it but this makes it so much easier and precise.
  • Keep the tape on and apply your eyeliner as usual and when you remove the tape you have a sharp, clean line.


  • Apply lots of mascara and/or false lashes.
  • Now theses steps are all up to you, I personally fill my eyebrows in before foundation and concealer.
  • Recently my acne has settled down so I don't need much coverage, I just need highlighting and some acne scars covering. 
  • Don't forget to set your face with powder, it makes your makeup last longer and can reduce shine. 
  • The rest is all you to your own personal taste, I personal love to contour the hell out of my checkbones, nose and forehead. Add blush and a highlighter on the tops of your checkbones and on your brow bone.  Don't forget to add some lipstick and you are complete. 



Products I used (in order);
Nivea day cream
Revlon photoready primer
Benefit Lemon Aid
AVON supershock eyeliner in black (upper lashline)
Illamasqua eyeshadow in Heroine
REVOLUTION eyeshadow palette in Iconic 3
Illamasqua gel eyeliner
NYC eyebrow pencil in Brown
REVOLUTION concealer in 01 fairest 
Collection lasting perfection concealer light 2
Lancome Hypnose Star in brown (top lashes)
Clinique even better mascara (bottom lashes)
Sleek blush in Flamingo 
MUA lipstick in shade 3


No comments:

Post a Comment